Monday, April 12, 2010

#16 Daddy’s Little Girl

One of the hardest things I have been dealing with concerning our wedding is the fact that I won’t get to dance with my dad that day. Growing up, so many little girls are able to envision at least some aspect of what their wedding will be like, long before they even meet their husband to be. For me, whenever I would picture my wedding, one of the things I thought about most was dancing with my dad, and what the perfect song would be for that dance. For me, this was the only part of the wedding that I was sure about. No matter what kind of wedding we had, or who I would end up marrying, I knew that there would be a dance saved for my Dad that night.

On June 3rd, 2007, my life changed. It was my birthday. I lived 2 hours from my parents. When my mom and dad got off of work, they were going to drive up to see me and take me out to dinner. Around 5 or so that evening my phone rang. I saw it was my mom. I figured she was calling to say they were leaving. I was wrong. So wrong. I answered. She told me that Dad had a heart attack at work, and he didn’t make it. WORST. DAY. EVER.

It’s been almost 3 years. It still sucks in the same way, as any one who has lost someone close would know. But it is a little easier to deal with since time has passed.

3 This was at one of our Just Say No Sweetheart Balls that we had in elementary school where Daughters take Fathers and Sons take Mothers. I am so glad that they held these for us, because I don’t know if I ever would have danced with my Dad except for when I was a toddler.

 

Well, with the wedding planning progressing lately, I often get really upset thinking about it since he wont be there. And for some reason, I can’t stop looking for the perfect song to dance to with him. It’s pathetic how much I still look for songs for the father daughter dance. But even though I won’t get that dance, I thought I would share what my pick would be. I really love it.

It’s Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman.

There are some ideas that I have to honor my dad during the wedding that I will probably do, but I will write about those in another post. I gotta go now!

signature[3]

1 comment: